Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Veggie Lasagna



This basis of this recipe came from a vegetarian friend in Texas--what a great alternative to regular lasagna that honestly feels too "heavy" sometimes. I've made this quite a few times and am always tweaking it depending on what I have on hand. One of these days I'd like to try a spinach variety...

The kids don't think they like it but they always eat it just fine! 

(these measurements are for the above size meal--a 7*11 baking dish)
lasagna noodles, cooked al dente, about 1/3 of a box of noodles
1 yellow, crookneck squash, chopped
1 medium zuchinni, chopped
handful of shredded carrots
handful of chopped onions
1/2 a jar of spaghetti sauce
white cheese, mozzarella or monterey jack (I prefer the mj or a mix so that it's not so stringy/rubbery)
cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (vary amount depending on your preference--I did not use the entire small-size container) (also, I've always used cottage cheese because I generally have some around--I used to think that sounded gross, but, I don't mind it!)

Add your veggies to the spaghetti sauce and let it cook on the stove for a few minutes (mostly just to heat everything up to same temp and let flavors start to meld---do NOT cook your veggies into a mush!) You may want to add a little water but not too much because the veggies have a lot of liquid.

Gently mix your cheeses together. 

Layer in your baking dish: sauce (cuz you don't want noodles to stick to the bottom of the pan), noodles, sauce, cheese, noodles, sauce, cheese, etc. so that it creates a yummy stack that you can't wait to eat!

Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and let it bake for another 5 minutes or so.

**sorry this recipe doesn't give exact amounts! I never take measurements of my vegetables and the rest is largely due to personal preferences--I've noticed people are generally pretty picky about how they like their lasagna!

No comments: