Thursday, October 9, 2008

Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cheese

A good, quick dinner with leftovers (for our little family anyway). You can use sweet sausage or spicy. I used sweet, thinking my kids would be more likely to eat it if it weren't spicy. They didn't touch it, so next time I'll just use the spicy Italian sausage for Aaron and I to enjoy. If you prep the cheeses and onion ahead of time (Aaron did mine for me) then it comes together really fast.

1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti (or penne, which is what I used)
1 pound Italian sausage links (sweet or spicy)
1 c. chopped onion (seriously, who measures out a cup? I used a medium yellow)
4 garlic cloves, minced
S & P to taste
2 (14.5 ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
Cooking spray
1 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions - you want it on the chewier side since it will be baking too. Drain and set aside.
  2. Remove casings from sausage (don't forget this step - I did and it's no fun to try to remove them from hot sausages!). Cook sausage, onion and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Combine cooked pasta with sausage mixture. Place half of pasta mixture in a 4-qt. casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serves about 8 - great with a salad on the side.

1 comment:

Anne Bennion said...

I'm going to make this for dinner tonight! Stu's gone so it's pasta night! Yummy!