Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Salmon with Agrodolce Sauce

I made this last night. I'm a little wary of making fish dishes because I'm never sure if my kids will eat it. Well, Laurel even said "Hmmm, it's not so bad." Which means it's really tasty!

3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
4 (6 oz.) salmon fillets (1 inch thick) with skin
2 medium red onions (about 1 pound total), each cut into 8 wedges
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot (it really needs to be hot!). Pat salmon dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cook, skin side up, until undersides form a golden crust, 12-15 minutes (mine took about 10). Turn fish over and cook until just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes more. Remove from pan.
Heat remaining olive oil in same pan over medium high heat until it shimmers, then saute onions until golden brown and crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar and 1/2 tsp. salt and cook until sauce is syrupy, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
Spoon out onions onto serving platter, top with fish and pour sauce over the fish and onions.

Jennie's comments - this was super fast and super easy. The majority of my time was spent cutting up the whole fish (yep, a whole salmon) into to manageable portions. I served it with rice and some veggies. Like I said above, everyone loved it. Use the best balsamic vinegar you can afford. It really makes a difference.

By the way, this serves 4-5 (depending on your kids, if you have them). Timewise, it takes about 10 minutes of active prep and cooking. The rest is just standing and stirring and doing something else at the same time - me, I was surfing for Indian food recipes on my laptop and holding James. It can be done!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Sounds delicious...I will have to try it soon. I love salmon and I love onions, so a winning combination. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)