Friday, June 26, 2009

Pasta Salad

A couple weeks ago I really wanted pasta salad and decided to see what I could come up with using only ingredients I already had in order to use them up. This pasta salad was my creation and it's very flavorful and tasty.

1 lb. tri-color rotini pasta
sea salt
olive oil

1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
1 or 2 tomatos, chopped
1/2 lb. or so cheddar cheese, cut in small cubes

Dressing
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (I add 1 - 2 tbls. extra since I like it vinegary)
1 tbls. dijon mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried basil

Cook the pasta according to directions, adding sea salt and olive oil to pasta water once boiling. Drain pasta and cool at least 1/2 hour. In a large measuring cup, add all dressing ingredients and whisk until blended. Pour half over pasta and stir. Assemble and chop vegetables and cheese and then add to pasta along with the remaining dressing. The salad is good served immediately, but it is even better if you make it the night before serving, or at least a few hours in advance. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

this sounds really good! what else would complement these flavors (additional veggies, chicken, etc?) if I wanted to add more to it?

Keri said...

Some chicken would probably taste good in it and i bet broccoli would taste yummy with the dressing so it would be a good addition. I've put carrots and celery in other pasta salads before so they might be good as well.